Your Information and how we use it
4th Chester le Street Scout Group collects information about you to help us provide you with the best possible scouting experience.
We believe that our members have the right to expect that the information we hold about them will be kept confidential and our aim is to maintain full and accurate records about you and keep this information confidential and secure.
We will only use information collected lawfully in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations)
We undertake not to use any information we may hold about you for any purpose other than that for which it was collected, unless we have obtained your consent.
What information do we collect?
We collect information about you and any specific needs we need to be aware of.
We also collect information to help our equality and diversity monitoring.
This information may be recorded in writing, or electronically on a computer, or a mixture of both.
The type of information we will collect:-
- Personal information (such as name and address)
- Religious or similar beliefs
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Attendance information
How is the information we collect used to help you?
The information we collect may be used to help you in the following ways:
- we collect personal and medical information for the protection of that person whilst in the care of the Scout Group
- we collect religious data to respect a person’s beliefs with regards to activities, food and holidays
- To administer membership records
- To fundraise and promote the interests of the Scout Group
- To manage our volunteers
- To maintain our own accounts and records (including the processing of gift aid applications);
- To inform you of news, events, activities and services running at 4th Chester le Street Scout Group
Do we share information about you with anyone?
There are times when it is appropriate for us to share relevant information with others to help us work together for your benefit. We may, as required, share young people information with:
- All leaders and Executive members within the Group
- With The Scout Association at District, County and National Level
- HMRC for Gift Aid collection purposes
- Statutory organisations as required by specific legislation
- Your information will NOT be shared with third party organisations for the purposes of marketing goods and services
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We collect and use your personal data in our legitimate interests, specifically, it helps us to provide excellent quality scouting to you, in a safe and appropriate manner, and therefore, according to the GDPR, we do not require your explicit consent
How we look after your information
We protect your information in the following ways:
- Training – Our leaders are trained to understand their duty of confidentiality and their responsibilities regarding the security of information.
- Records Management– We will keep information in line with 4th Chester le Street Scout Groups Retention Schedule and we will only keep it as long as we need it. Data will be held on our secure Computer systems and our Paper records will be kept securely locked away. When we no longer need your information it will be destroyed by deletion of electronic records and secure shredding of paper files.
- Legislation – There are laws in place to protect your information, including the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Human Rights Act 1998.
Requesting access to your personal data
You can find out if we hold any personal information about you by making a ‘subject access request’ under the Data Protection Act.
If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it
- tell you why we are holding it
- tell you who it could be shared with, and
- let you have a copy of the information in an Easy Read form
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal information, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.
Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
Assistant Group Scout Leader